Monday, September 16, 2013

TEN - Poetry and me


What poetry means to me
doria d.

     Poetry is like the gentle pounding of rain, a tribal music of sacred drums slowly beating into a wondrous melody, that lulls you into the darkness of sleep, the tranquility of silence, chasing away the spirits.  It is my solitude in the happiest moments and in the saddest times.  Poetry is living in a world without rules or boundaries, yet somehow not living in chaos.  It describes the most profound love and defines the most intense hatred.  It is the unspoken language of man.  It is the most private and most public outcry of the pains, anguishes and loves of mankind.  It is where we begin and where we end.  Poetry is the life we live and the dreams that we wish we had lived.

     Poetry means everything and nothing depending on whom you ask.  People fear it, love it and don't understand it, but everyone needs it.  It is the drug of literature, and it never dies.  Poetry represents the best and the worst of humanity, as seen through the eyes of man.  The life of a poet is every life, because to pass judgment on mankind is to step into the shoes of every man.  It is to see beyond yourself and to live in the hearts and minds of others.   It is to live a thousand different lives, and feel a thousand different hearts.  The beauty of poetry is its simplicity, the ability to give such extraordinary meaning to such common, ordinary words.
     Poetry is the written expression of knowledge; it is what we have learned and more importantly what we have deep within to teach.  My poetry is an expression of everything I have seen, everything that I've known, thought, lived and dreamed. I see my words on the faces of those whose lives touched mine.  I feel what I see and I see what I feel.  I see with my eyes, my heart and my mind.  Poetry is my great escape from the world around me.  It is jumping into the wind and sailing out into the open sea, beyond rules and boundaries.  It is forgiving, forgetting and moving on, it is healing, understanding and accepting.

     I don't write to please anyone, I write very simply to make sense of my own dark clouds and sunny days.  I hope that somewhere in the jumble of my words that someone finds a word that fits their fancy.  A phrase that gives them hope or a poem that represents what I have felt. I hope that you are reminded of something, good or bad, and that these words that I've put together somehow have meaning for someone other than myself.  I hope that whoever reads these words will find their own voice within mine.  That they will feel.  That some buried memory will slip back into reality for a moment, and that in that joy, or anger or sadness they find a release, an understanding, a door that opens and lets them believe again, move forward, and get on with life.  Poetry should amaze, excite, and empower.  It should throw your senses into a fury.  It should make you cry.  It should make you laugh.  It should inspire you to think.  It is the relentless pursuit of saying so much in so few words.  It is to play music without an instrument.  It is pure raw emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Little Blue Dress

My Little Blue Dress.